Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: limiter going nuts on VDJ8 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hey guys been awhile since I been on but I been having a issue with VDJ8 with my limiter peaking going full blown red on multiple songs out of the blue and I'm not blasting away either, just want to know since I believe there is not a way to disable this feature but is there a way to adjust it to where the limiter doesn't go off so much...??

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 9:46 am
And I'm using a alienware laptop windows 7 with a ddj-sr

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 9:47 am
Adjusting your zeroDB config setting to -3 (or more) will give you more headroom (but reduce output level).

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 9:52 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
It's possible you have your gains cranked (either via remembered auto gain, or via control), you have your EQs turned up or you have an effect active which is boosting the track level and forcing it to hit the limiter.

What is your zeroDB setting in the config set to?

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 9:54 am
Ok I'm alil dumb to this but where can I access these adjustments where are they located on VDJ8?

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 2:03 pm
K found autogain which is set to auto...

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 2:05 pm
ZeroDB is set to Default

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 2:06 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Set it to -3 and try again.
You can also type in a value like 0.75.

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 4:01 pm
And do I leave autogain on auto? And does anyone else rescan there library after this? I'm still confused about why people rescan their library, will that help with the issue? Does that mean reanalyze???

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 10:40 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Even at default the limiter shouldn't be in the red all the time.
Autogain should be on auto yes.
Do you have it only with specific songs? (If so, which ones, and in this case rescanning these songs might be worth a try)
Are gain and equalizer knobs set to the center when you try, or do you have them boosted?

Posted Thu 02 Jul 15 @ 11:52 pm
They were set to center when it started acting up I might of tweaked to mids alil higher and when it starting cutting out I raised the gains to get more sound out of it, it doesn't happen on all songs just a few badly but I see alot off red on most on limiter which worries me, when ya say scan do ya mean reanalyze?

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 12:14 am
It even seemed to shut down virtual dj but then restarted on same song at same spot it cutted out on, and worked ok for rest of night, but need to figure out this limiter because I'm walking on pins and needles everytime I'm at a live gig...

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 12:18 am
Please do the following:
Set 'autoGain' to auto
Set 'zeroDB' to 0.75
Set 'gainSliderIncludesAutoGain' to yes

With these settings you should not hit the limiter 99% of time. If you find a specific track that makes the limiter go nuts please send us this track to analyze and see what may be causing it.

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 1:04 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
maverick77014 wrote :
when ya say scan do ya mean reanalyze?

Yes

maverick77014 wrote :
I might of tweaked to mids alil higher and when it starting cutting out I raised the gains to get more sound out of it

The more you raise an EQ (boost a frequency) or raise (boost) the gain past their zero point, they add volume. If your already hitting the limiter before that, you going to hit it more. The limiter is there to try and keep you from clipping your sound card.
Set your auto gain settings as instructed above and re-analyze your media.

You may want to take some to time and learn about gain structure as well.

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 1:29 am
@maverick, you might want to look into using LoudMax (a limiter VST plugin) on your master FX.

It does a much better job than the VDJ limiter. It'll "brickwall" your output level without making the sound pump so noticeably.

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 2:16 am
Thanks guys for all the help I'll input that data and go from there hopefully it doesn't happen as much any more if it does I'll look into that plug in thanks guys

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 7:21 am
Are you using a controller?

Posted Fri 03 Jul 15 @ 9:38 pm
Yes a ddj-sr going into a mixer

Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 @ 12:08 am
I don't have this controller, but does the trim on the controller, correspond with the gain on the software? I mean, if you load a track, and the trim is at 12, is the gain on the software at 12 also? If you move the trim, does it move on the software?

Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 @ 1:12 am
Yes at first I noticed before I made changes sometimes trims wouldn't match then I moved knobs back to reset then it matched I made adjustments last night kept my gains down and raised my external mixer to keep volume up and limiter was pretty much way in specs never peaked once...

Posted Sat 04 Jul 15 @ 4:00 pm
65%